The Starter Kit
A tutorial on getting started with Umbraco using the starter kit
The Starter Kit is the name of one of the Starter kits build for Umbraco by Umbraco HQ. It is a great way to familiarize yourself with Umbraco CMS.
Developed and maintained by Umbraco HQ and the Umbraco community it aims to give you the basic knowledge you need to hit the ground running.
Installing the Starter Kit will give you a basic site where you can:
- Show the content creation and editing capabilities in Umbraco from a content editor's point of view.
- Learn how to set up Umbraco by exploring the starter kit.
- Enhance the Starter Kit by following the lessons provided. The lessons aim to give you a good understanding of how you can tailor the editing experience and add features to an Umbraco site.
The Starter kit will install sample content for a small site. You can edit the content, or delete it and build your content from scratch.
The sample content includes:
- Home - The home (or frontpage) of the site.
- Text pages - Generic text page with multi-column layout options.
- Blog - Blog section for the site, with blog overview and blog posts.
- Products - Product section, with featured products ready for shop integration.
- People - People section, with people profiles. Can be used for an employee section, for example.
- Contact page - The contact page contains a customizable map and contact form.
While familiarizing yourself with the Starter Kit you might have spotted some places where you would want some additional functionality. The following lessons will give you step-by-step instructions on how to add specific features:
You can contribute to the Starter Kit in the following ways:
- Issues/bugs/feature requests: Reporting issues and bugs is a great way to start contributing. The goal of the Starter Kit is to teach best practices. It must work as expected. You can report issues/bugs for the Starter Kit and the Starter Kit lessons on the project page.